I can’t think of a better way to start the day than with this pear porridge. It’s getting a little colder and that might mean getting out of bed is a little harder, but if you’re looking for some motivation to begin your day, a warm bowl of this porridge is the perfect recipe to get your day off to the best start ever.
• 1 tablespoon honey • 1 teaspoon white miso paste (or to taste) • 1-1/2 tablespoons butter • 2 ripe pears, halved and cored • 1 cup rolled oats • 2 teaspoons chia seeds • 2 cups milk of your choice • 1 teaspoon cinnamon • Pinch of salt
1 In a warm pan, combine honey, miso, and butter to make caramel. 2 Place pears in caramel and cook for 10 minutes on medium-low until pears soften. 3 Add porridge ingredients to a separate pan and simmer gently, stirring frequently, until desired consistency. 4 Serve together and garnish with yogurt, pumpkin seeds, or toppings of your choice.
Interested in learning more about becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach? Give us a call today at (877) 780-5408 (U.S.) or +1 (212) 730-5433 (International).
“When Elon and I would travel, and we had to fill out those forms at customs that wanted to know your occupation, Elon never wrote down ‘CEO,’ ‘King of the World,’ or ‘studly international playboy,'” relates Justine. “He wrote, ‘Engineer.'”
The way we eat has changed the planet. In this simple idea, which few of us consider when we go to the grocery store, lies immense hope for the future—if we pay attention. On the medical front a large number of people accept the notion, once thought of as a fringe belief, that “you are what you eat.” The decisions you make today about what you eat will have a huge impact in your future health. Food plays a decisive factor in modern lifestyle diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and all the damaging side effects related to the epidemic of obesity in this country.
The next step in our growing awareness expands on the same idea. The next bite you take adds to the health of planet Earth or pushes it a tiny step toward deterioration. Unconscious eating is bad for the environment. Conscious eating puts the planet on the road to renewal and wellness.
We can heal the environment by thinking from the ground up, quite literally. The health of soils around the world is essential to keeping the entire planet in balance. This truth has dawned with the rise of the word “microbiome,” which is gaining wide circulation. The microbiome is comprised of the genetic material of all microorganisms (bacteria, fungi and viruses) in a specific place, such as the human gut, in the soil, in water, or on the skin. Each local microbiome is intricately connected to other microbiomes, thereby linking all living organisms together.
The San Francisco-based technology company, founded last year, is looking to make its mark in the area by competing on price and following a familiar “Uber for trash” dream.
The concept of creating an “Uber for Trash” has gotten plenty of media buzz in recent years. Now, a new West Coast player called Trash Warrior is also citing Uber as inspiration and has backing from venture capital firms.
Fittingly, this tech startup is based in San Francisco, the birthplace and setting for the ride-sharing company’s rise. Founded in 2019, Trash Warrior’s service offers on-demand removal of junk, furniture and cardboard through a platform linking to a network of third-party haulers, allowing residential and commercial customers to schedule pick-ups and pay online.
Last year, shortly before launching a line of perishable food products, a large national variety store chain approached us wanting to learn more about our organics recycling offerings. Up to that point, Rubicon had primarily worked with the customer on plastics, paper, and cardboard recycling. But the retailer understood that selling fresh food would present a different challenge.
Prior to launching their line of perishable food products, the discount chain had only been selling packaged food. Their distributors would drop-ship the food items to them and take away expired product. After launching, the company became responsible for doing something with their expired products, including expired milk—a special challenge.
Of all the materials we extract globally, only 10% ends up in products. The rest is wasted along the supply chain or dispersed into the environment, before it even reaches the hands of consumers. Even then, 80% of products end up in our waste system within six months, where they have little chance of ever returning to products again (Girling, 2011). Out of all of the materials that leave the global economy each year, only around 10% is recycled into new products, while the rest ends up in an incinerator or landfill (Haas, Krausmann, Wiederhofer & Heinz, 2015).
Seattle will permanently close 20 miles of residential streets to most vehicle traffic. The streets had been closed temporarily to through traffic to provide more space for people to walk and bike at a safe distance apart during the coronavirus pandemic. Nearly 20 miles of Seattle streets will permanently close to most vehicle traffic by the end of May, Mayor Jenny Durkan announced Thursday.